Tinamba's early settlers did it tough but survived and thrived, paving the way for farming families for generations!
First settlers arrived in Tinamba in 1862, coming by boat from Port Phillip Bay to Port Albert. From there they embarked on a journey overland with drays, bullocks and horses often only to a wooden stake in the ground marking their selection.
Initially survival for these early settlers was difficult, however the main road through Tinamba serviced the goldfields of Donnelly's Creek and the Jordan and settlers made ends meet by selling fresh produce and horse feed to travellers to and from these goldfields.
Establishing the Town...
Early church services were held at Park House, home of Meshech Osborn, one of the first selectors to the area. It was not until 1924 that the one and only Church was built in Tinamba with the support of people from all denominations in the district.
The first Tinamba State School No. 1665, was opened in 1875 and operated until 1951 when students began to attend Boisdale Consolidated School.
The Tinamba Hotel was established in 1874, initially a weatherboard building before being redone in brick.
The first post office in Tinamba was opened in 1887 and was called Tinamba Railway Station Post Office, it was renamed Tinamba Post Office around 1895. The Tinamba Public Hall was built in 1901 and expanded upon in 1935 and at one stage Tinamba even had a number of sawmills.
Railway Boom Times...
The railway came to Tinamba in 1887 and was used for hauling agricultural produce, timber and livestock but also ran a daily passenger service to Traralgon.
The arrival of the railway was a boom time for Tinamba. As a crossroads it became the main point at which surrounding farmers would drive their stock to be sold at pig and calf saleyards near the station. Stock would be auctioned and then loaded onto trains to their destination.
The last passenger train came through Tinamba in 1977 but a special steam engine hauling a vintage passenger train made the occassional visit until 1990.
From humble beginnings, with the determination of early selectors Tinamba grew into a hardworking and productive farming community. The Macalister river and it's rich river flats providing quality feed for milking cows and an idyllic rural lifestyle!
Tinamba is said to come from the aboriginal word Tinyambo meaning "pull my toe".
Books written on Tinamba include: Beneath Blue Hills, written by Wal Vardy.
"Bald Hills to Bundalaguah" produced by Maffra & District Historical Society.
Heyfield & District Historical Society.